Wednesday 17 July 2013

A Little Gallery



A couple of weeks ago, one of my favourite illustrators had a sale through their Etsy shop. 'Yey' I say. 'Oh, not you again!', says my bank account. Upon adding items to my checkout (sorry bank account), I realised this would be only my second purchase of goods through Etsy.
'Surely not', I hear you say. Sad but true, dear readers. 

Unfortunately, it appears I have become a 'virtual window shopper', which is quite a crime considering I am such an advocate of supporting small handmade craft businesses (being a budding one myself!) Don't worry, I slapped my own wrists and will endeavour to change my ways....again: apologies Bank of Bamboo.

It is also a minor miracle, or should I say travesty, that I have never purchased a piece of Lauren Carney's artwork before. I have been an admirer of Dizzy Little Dotty for a few years now, but have only recently got my hands on a physical copy of her quirky, mystical drawings.





I bought myself a set of these super-cute clothes line paper cut-outs to hang in my studio for inspiration. They are wonderfully motivating during bouts of creative block!


And I snatched up this beautiful digital print (left) of a piece that made me feel like I'd had it specially commissioned for Martin and I: entitled 'I didn't mean to hurt you'. I felt like laughing and crying simultaneously when I saw it. We quite often play fight (channelling our inner child has always been a big part of our connection!) and I - embarrassingly - often have a tendency of getting carried away. What do they say - you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs?? ....not entirely sure that particular phrase is relevant here but ANYWAY what I'm trying to say is it is something that is so quintessentially us, it feels quite special when an artist can capture that in their work. I think it also looks a little like us!

A lot of Lauren's work has a very human element to it, along with the obvious surreal and supernatural themes. She is a magician with a stylus pen when it comes to putting on paper those little imperfections and quirks that make us who we are - showing the human races' multi-faceted nature in a multitude of pen strokes. Thanks Lauren!


She is also an awesome gift-wrapper and even threw in a couple of extras, which was a lovely surprise!

Our gallery wall is coming along nicely, don't you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment