Tuesday 29 July 2014

Frida Kahlo Cushion


It was my Mum's birthday all the way back in February and, just after Christmas, I settled on a project that I thought would make a really nice present. Unfortunately, it took me a little longer than a month to complete and once I was well into making it, I decided this was something I wanted to give to her in person, so it's only now that I am able to share these pictures with you!




My Mum is a mixed-media artist and ceramicist and I was introduced to Frida Kahlo a long time ago and instantly felt drawn to her work and use of strong, rich colours. There was a time when Frida Kahlo's name was spoken of relatively little....up until recently when she seems to have become something of a style sensation! Her love of floral crowns and chunky golden jewellery took off and I see Frida influences everywhere. It seems her preference for a 'fuller-brow' still remains wholly her own, however. 



Since I always have so many projects on the go at once, I decided I would take my time embroidering Frida, and worked on my hoop during my half an hour lunch break at work. Embroidery is my most loved craft-form and I thoroughly enjoyed doing a little bit of stitching each day, while supping a hazelnut latte and nibbling on my lunch from my favourite foxy box.


When the stitching stage was complete, I ordered some of this amazing Alexander Henry fabric from Bolt of Cloth to make the piece into an envelope-backed cushion. 


It was awesome to give my Mum a present in person after so many missed birthdays and Christmases whilst we've been living in New Zealand. I can't wait to see it installed on the sofa in Italy next time we visit :)




No comments:

Post a Comment